Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Government Bureaucracy at it's Best

Quick blurb - I went in to pay the aforementioned ticket for expired registration at the Hall of Justice yesterday. After passing through the metal detector and absorbing the fiery barb of the security officer's keen wit ("Oh, you have a Certificate of Achievement, huh?" he quips upon seeing my ticket, causing a lady of above-average girth next to him to chuckle in appreciation) I enter the cashier's office to do my penance. Then I see I sign that says: NO PAYMENTS ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00 PM.

It was 4:36.

So I say to the lady: "I'm here to pay this, but you don't accept anything after 4:00?"

To which she replies: "Yes. We can't take any payments after 4:00." Apparently seeing my disappointment, she quickly adds, "But if you can't wait until tomorrow, you can call in with a credit card number."

And this is where another gem of the peerless logic of Government Bureaucracy became evident. If I had had a cellphone on me I could have pulled it out right there, called the lady standing 2 feet in front of me, given her my credit card number, and make the payment. Yet it was completely impossible for her to take those numbers if I had handed the card to her. That would be against policy.

It's experiences like this that make me think Ron Paul's really on to something.

3 comments:

Tiecen said...

I know! It's like they're paying these people to not have even one iota of intelleigence!

Derek said...

He is on to a lot of things, and that is why he can't win the presidency. He makes too much sense (though not on everything).

Beau Sorensen said...

You've got to love our incompetent civil servants. Or rather love to hate them. At least I do.