Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I Love October


Peace upon all of you, my blog-friends. Autumn is here and I am feeling especially contented with the world at the moment. I love autumn. Here's why:
  • The leaves change color.
  • Football once more graces our fine country with its presence like an exotic bird returning from its summer migration.
  • Baseball finally becomes interesting. Despite my previous railing on how boring baseball can be, I will admit that there's nothing quite like a playoff baseball game (see last night's Rockies - Padres game).
  • The Cubs are in the playoffs. Sure they won't be for more than 10 days, but still...
  • The first trace of snow reaches the tops of the mountains, causing a thrill of exhillaration to surge through every true-skier.
  • Those little candy pumpkins. Man I love those little candy pumpkins.
  • The Office is back on. There're really only three things I turn the tv on for: Sports, General Conference, and The Office. And Seinfeld. And occasionally the Simpsons. 5 things.

Of course not everything about October is snow-frosted mountaintops and little candy pumpkins. A few less-desireable things happen:

  • College students come back, making our street look like a valet-parking lot. It's amazing how fast I've gone from the rowdy college student staying up all night to the bitter man who hates the rowdy college students who stay up all night. That's a whole other post though.
  • It gets dark. Early. There's just something unnatural and lame about leaving work at 5:30 and having to turn your headlights on during the drive home.
  • No more flip-flops and shorts.

All in all, the good things far outweigh the bad things though. So it's good to have you here, October.

I'm trying to think of a costume for Halloween - give me a vote on the poll above.

Shalom, my friends.

5 comments:

Derek said...

I sincerely hope you make a post detailing, perhaps with several illustrative events, your transition from rowdy college ne'er-do-well to ossan.

Beau Sorensen said...

Cedar seems especially prone to having the ne'er-do-wells turn it into a ne'er-do-wellingtown. I'm intrigued...may we see that whole other post?

MisterJ said...

Re: Rockies vs. Padres

Dude, he never touched the plate!

themickel said...

I agree with you, Casedilla. On watching the replays it looked like the catcher blocked his arm with his foot.

On the other hand, the Rockies were robbed of a homerun earlier in the game (the umps ruled it a double instead) and during that last play you see the ball rolling out of the catchers glove anyway (all he had to do was touch the plate after that, which he didn't do because the ump called him safe). So I think it is immaterial.

Tiecen said...

I still wear flip flops int the winter in UT. Which is stupid. One time I fell down in a puddle and hurt my leg.