Friday, October 12, 2007

Book Reviews again

I haven't done book reviews for a while, so I thought I'd do them all at once. With the HP fanfic and what I'm writing now I don't do as much reading as I normally would. While it may not seem like that from the number of reviews, keep in mind this is from the last 2 years or so. Without further ado...



The Secret Life of Bees Sue Monk Kidd






A good book for women. And bees. If you are neither, find another book.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: A well-written, insightful book, though not quite to my taste. Also happens to be Tie's favorite book. So don't bash it, lest you incur her wrath.

Wicked Gregory Maguire



I was skeptical of this book at first. I've always been indifferent to the Wizard of Oz and have never understood why anyone under 65 years old (when it first came out and blew everybodies' minds) would be a fan, so I didn't think a book based on the Oz universe would be interesting.

But it was.

I'm not sure how he did it, but somehow Maguire takes Oz and transforms it into a rich, intricate, depressing and enchanting world rife with political, religious, and philosophical conflict. He also takes Elphaba (more commonly known as the Wicked Witch of the West) and adds layer upon layer to her previously one-dimensional character that you no longer look at her (or any other of the traditional villains) in the same way again.

The only thing I didn't like is that Elphaba never really amounts to anything. He creates such a rich and fascinating character, it seemed a waste to me to not have her devote herself to a cause or an ideal, even if that ideal is only herself. While you realize she's not evil, he never really reconciles what she is, except confused and indecisive. In the end she's just someone fighting against fate for the sake of fighting.

Oh yeah, and she has green skin because her father (whose identity will remain secret, though, use your imagination) drank a lot of green snake-oil elixir.


Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Unique and creative enough to merit a read.

Man's Search For Meaning Viktor E. Frankl


This one has the Blog o' Mickel Seal of Approval, which is kind of like Oprah's Book Club except only for good books. I decided to finally read this one after I heard it quoted from no less than three separate people in one week. It's basically the thought and insights of a Jewish psychologist who is taken to a Nazi concentration camp while he is there. Quite an interesting read, as he concentrates more on the psychological conditions of a camp than the physical. If you've ever heard someone quote a man in a Nazi concentration camp along the lines of "The only freedom others can't take from you is the freedom to choose how you will respond to your enemies", this is where it's from. I've heard everyone from Steven Covey to church leaders to SHRM speakers apply this statement somehow or other.

Very enlightening read. Go get it. Right now. It's like 3 bucks on Amazon.


Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: You Owe it to Society to Read This Book


Dreams from My Father Barack Obama



Democrats, if you care about this country or have any sense at all, please give Obama the nomination. I implore you. Hillary is wrong for you. She's wrong for the country. She is the Democratic George W. Bush.

My favorite part about this book is that it was written long before Obama thought he'd ever have a serious shot at the presidency, so he talks about using drugs, smoking, family problems, his real thoughts on black and white culture in this country. You know - REAL LIFE. Unlike the other tomes of political pablum and white-washed self trumpetry every other candidate comes out with (Hillary, I'm looking at you.)

I want to write more on Obama and why I'm a fan, but that will be another post.


Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: If politics are the least bit interesting to you, read it.

Test, War, and Time of the Twins Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman




Wanting a break from books that dealt with reality, I thought I'd take a stroll down memory lane and re-read this trilogy from my childhood. Right around middle school I got really into these books, but haven't read them since.

On rereading, two things stuck out to me:

  1. Seems like any medieval fantasy book since the 60's has been a rip-off of Tolkein; and,
  2. Regardless of that, these are pretty good books.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: If you're into fantasy or know what role a Dungeon Master plays, these would be good books for you to read.


Do Less, Achieve More Chin-Ning Chu

When I was at the national SHRM convention in Vegas working at the bookstore I finally caved and got one of the many self-improvement books that I had been surrounded by the entire day. Had I the chance to make that decision again, I would have bought a not-bad book.

I wouldn't recommend buying this one. Or checking it out. Or even flipping through it if you're sitting in a waiting room somewhere and the only other options are an auto parts catalogue and a phone book. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend reading the rest of this review, as anything to do with this book is a waste of time. Let's just say that any "Self-help" book that includes a section on how you need to be willing to sacrifice your family if want to be successful isn't a book I want to get advice from.

And Chin-Ning, when you're on your death bed I hope your robust investment portfolio and impressive resume provide you with companionship and a feeling of fulfillment. Because your estranged family won't be.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Seriously, go for the phone book instead. You'll get more out of it.


Lord of the Flies William Golding


A fun, honest, chilling look at human nature. Reminds me of Scout Camp.

I still feel bad for Piggy.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Sometime in your life you should read this book. Why not now?

Our Mutual Friend Charles Dickens

I have yet to meet anyone else who reads Charles Dickens books for fun. You should though. They're good.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: If you make any claim to being a cultured individual, you need to read at least one Dicken's book that wasn't required by a high school English teacher. If not, go back to watching American Idol.

Go on. Fatty.

Red Branch Morgan Llywelyn



This was another blast from the past. One of my high school history teachers actually recommended this author. She's good. I would recommend this one or Druids by the same author to anyone into fantasy.

And no - you're eyes aren't fooling you. The reviews are getting shorter.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: 2 Grumpets.


The Five People You Meet in Heaven Mitch Albom



This book was really popular for a while so I was glad to find it on my in-laws coffee table one weekend. It was ok. I was kind of disappointed. I guess if you're the type of person who doesn't think much about spiritual life or what happens after you die this would be more captivating.

Of course, Osama bin Laden has written a much better review of this book than I could ever hope to: Reviews of Books by Osama B-L.

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Read it if you suddenly find yourself in a house where it's lying on the table and you have a large chunk of free time, just so you can make snarky comments about it on your blog.
The 5th Horseman James Patterson



Is it hard to be a New York Times Best Seller? I used to be impressed by that qualification, but after reading The 5th Horseman, no more.

Ok, it wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't especially good. Take the worst of the Dan Brown thrillers (probably Digital Fortress) and water it down until it's only semi-thrilling. Then take one of those quasi-realistic hospital shows on tv (take your pick; seems like every new show is either an ER clone or some CSI spin-off). Now combine it with one of those pre-teen girl books (er...Babysitter's Club? Nancy Drew?) and you have The 5th Horseman.

I was going to write more, but I've already given too much of my life to this book. If you like The Joy Luck Club, crime novels, or you're one of those women who, for whatever inexplicable reason, choose to refer to your female friends as "my girlfriends" this book is for you.

And why do some women do that? Does the differentiation need to be made? Should I blog about how I went and played ultimate frisbee with some of my boyfriends? What the huh?

(Update: On re-reading this post, I was surprised by the vitriol I unleashed on this book. It was actually not a bad read. Just not entirely to my taste. I still stand by the above three paragraphs though.)

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: I wasn't too impressed, but I can see how others might like it. At least it doesn't give you horrible advice on how to live your life.


1776 David McCullough

A good read. Amazing that our country's independence was won by a group of quarreling, selfish drunks. Though I suppose that's fitting, seeing how today it is run by a group of quarreling, selfish drunks.

Ba-doom CHA!

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Every real American should read this book. Not doing so shows ingratitude and weakens the resolve of our allies.

Bard Morgan Llywelyn


Another good Llyweleyn book. Don't understand how the Tuatha-de-Dannan can wield god-like powers yet lose to a bunch of chumps in chariots, but hey - who am I to dispute fictional Irish history?

Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: If you're into fantasy, though I'd start with Red Branch.

Battlefield Earth L. Ron Hubbard

I got this one on the advice of a friend. It was really good. It is also the only epic apocalyptic science fiction/action book or movie I've encountered where the climax is a meeting between the hero AND...two inter-galactic bankers.

And they talk about mortgages.

Can't say I've ever encountered that before.


Blog O' Mickel Recommend-O-Meter: Get it. Only brush up on liens, mortgages, and other aspects of banking and lending before you do.

5 comments:

MisterJ said...

Don't forget to mention that "Lord of the Flies" has so many metaphors. (It's also been the subject of two poorly made movies!!)

I read "Great Expectations" for fun. I guess I can't say that I read it, because I never finished it.

You might like "A Confederacy of Dunces." Everyone else does. I couldn't get through it.

I think my attention span for books has been seriously harmed by the fact that I read so many kids' books now as part of my job. Seriously, if I can't finish a book within a few days, I can't get through it. I didn't used to be that way.

I just finished "Gathering Blue" and "The Messenger" by Lois Lowry. They were okay, but not as good as "The Giver."

Tiecen said...

"The Secret Life of Bees" is my favorite book, and I've read A LOT of books. The college degree I'm about to get says that, technically, I'm an expert on books. I love it not just in the "girls like it'" way. Read it again. See what it has to say about civil rights, (not just those of blacks, but those of children)religion, broken families and broken hearts. Too much! I love it!

Mark said...

Logan,

Okonomiyaki night was great. We had a lot of fun.

I liked Battlefield Earth too. Maybe it will inspire me to write my own book...then start my own religion.

If you are still into Fantasy, read the Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore, or anything else by him. I've got most of his books if you want to borrow them.

I liked Orson Scott Card's Alvin maker series, and of course Ender's Game, the best Sci-Fi book ever written.

Mark said...

P.S.

My college degree says I'm good at counting beans.

themickel said...

Sorry, Tights. I meant no disrespect to the book, I was just being facetious. I do think it was well written and overall a good book, it just played too much on the power-of-sisterhood/femininity-to-overcome all-obstacles theme, smacking of Sisterhood of Traveling Pants or The Joy Luck Club or Steel Magnolias. As a guy I just don't relate and am not too interested in that.
I will say this for it though - Sue Monk Kid did at least have ONE male character who wasn't utterly despicable in the story, Zachary Taylor. Not many of these others do that. Most of them make me feel like I need to apologize to women in general for having a penis.

Tell you what, in your honor I will change the review from "Meh" to "A well-written, insightful book, though not quite to my taste."

Done and done.