Monday, July 23, 2007

That's it - I'm done with the NBA

That's it. I'm done. I'm forsaking the NBA and becoming a college basketball fan.

I've been a big fan of the NBA for a long time now. Despite the recent success of the Jazz, however, I've found myself more and more disillusioned with it, culminating with the Suns-Spurs debacle in the last playoffs. Now it's just been discovered that one of the referees has been manipulating games for the mob.

Outstanding.

Above are a few clips from game 3 of the aforementioned debacle. The sad thing is I'm actually relieved to hear one of the refs was crooked, because it was even scarier to think someone could be that incompetent UNINTENTIONALLY.

Anyways, I needed just one more reason to say good-bye to the NBA, and this is it. Apparently I'm not the only one either. Here's a good column by the SportsGuy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722

I'm going to get into college basketball, where the athletes actually care about winning and some vestiges of actual sport still remain.

Oh yeah, and while I'm on the subject of denouncing things, I'd also like to announce that I'm turning my back on CNN.com and making NPR.org my official internet news source. One can handle only so much celebrity gossip and blatant self-promotion passed off as news.

Toodles.

2 comments:

Derek said...

I am not going to move from the NBA to college ball simply becuase college players are so much worse than NBA players.

I will go with you to NPR though. Congratulations on taking CNN out of my favorites for the first time in years.

themickel said...

That's true - NBA players are better. At least they are when they care about winning. So that means the playoffs and contract years (Or neither in the case of Vince Carter).

I'll watch at those times.