Thursday, November 17, 2005

St. George Triathlon


So I've decided to enter a triathlon. The St. George Triathlon takes place May 13th, 2006 at Sand Hollow State Park. Yessir, 700 meters of vigorous swimming immediately followed by 10 miles of mountain biking, 3.2 miles of running, and, from what I hear, 10 minutes of freestyle puking. Needless to say, I'm very excited and have been training for about a week and a half. This should be interesting for 3 reasons:
  1. I despise running as a form of exercise;
  2. I pretty much taught myself how to swim and therefore have no technique (my stroke of preference happens to be the "underwater torpedo", which I made up); and
  3. Every time I've started training for a relatively large athletic event I inevitably get injured. Sprained ankles, bad knees, debilitating diarrhea, you name it. Well, maybe not diarrhea, but you get the picture.

The training schedule isn't half bad though. I was worried I would have to run 2-3 hours a day and start rinsing my cottage cheese (Sorro should get that reference), but really it's just about half hour a day. I can do that.

So of course I'm excited about it now, but the real test will be to see if I keep it up once the initial excitement wears off. Just like blogging...

No comments: