Friday, January 09, 2009

5 Reasons Facebook is Stupid

I'm thinking this post probably gets me the same level of scorn that my post on cell phones did, but I don't care. A man must hold true to his beliefs. And me...I believe Facebook is stupid.

1. It's slowly replacing blogging, but doesn't offer nearly as much.

Isn't blogging far better? I mean, I can go onto Cheeth or Mister J's blog, get an update on what they're up to, see pictures and read about what is important to them. In addition to providing a small window into their lives, this also allows me to experience a piece of their personality and be reminded why I like that person.

What does Facebook give you? A 2 inch picture, something someone you don't know wrote on their wall, and a bland status update like 'Mindi is sitting on her sofa clipping her toenails'.

It seems like people are blogging less. For instance, look at the blog roll on the right side of the screen. Perhaps down a little too. I'll bet you look at this at any give time and only one person will have posted in the last 3 days. Then there will be three who haven't in over a month.

A year ago it wouldn't have been this way. I blame apathy and Facebook. But mostly Facebook. Because I don't want to pick a fight with apathy.


2. Getting poked, likeness quizzes, pirate kidnappings, vampire blood lust invitations, body slams, 'Which Teletubbie Are You?' requests, Invitations to join the Michael Landon Fan Club, etc.

I don't feel I need to elaborate on this one. Other than to say I generally prefer not getting 'poked', in either a literal or virtual sense.



3. The excitement of finding an old friend, replaced by the dissapointment of realizing you have nothing to say to each other.

When I was first introduced to Facebook and hadn't yet learned how it works, I thought you used it to actually communicate with your friends. So I wrote a few 'How's it going? What are you up to?' e-mails to people I hadn't seen in a long time. I never heard back. I stopped writing them and eventually learned that that is how Facebook is supposed to work: Someone from 7th grade finds you, they add you as a friend, you confirm them and get a small link on the bottom of your page, then you both go about your lives with no further communication but a smug sense of accomplishment on having increased the number of friends you have on Facebook.

So now that I am well versed in Facebook protocol and know better, any message sent to me from an old time friend is met with a condescending shake of the head, the thought, 'They must be new to Facebook', and is promptly ignored.


4. Feeling obligated to write something clever in my status update every time I get on.

My solution to this is to not get on anymore.



5. I'm still not sure what it is.

Really. I don't get the point of it. Most people respond to this with, "It's a way to keep in touch with friends" but I feel this is inaccurate. A more fitting description would be "It's a good way to keep a small rectangular picture of people you used to know on an internet page".

I do have to give Facebook some props, though. For one, there are at least 40 people on there that I never would have found any other way, many that I had forgotten about. It does an exceptional job at helping you find old friends. There have also been some entertaining bouts of friendly banter with old friends initiated by a status update or profile change (though really nothing more than what happens in a blog comment box or on Yahoo Messenger). So there are some good things about it.

However, like a cranky old man stubbornly clinging to his VCR and 8-tracks, I am determined to shun Facebook in favor of blogging.

Gon farnit.

7 comments:

Chy-Chy 01 said...

I agree with your statement. I think that facebook is just sooooooooo stupid!!! I am with you my BRUTHAAAA!!!!

UrbanCannibal said...

You’re onto something here. I fell out of the blogosphere right about when you said, a year ago, though I wasn’t sure it had anything to do with Facebook until I read your post. I recently resurrected my lonely little blog only to find that most of whom I kept up with through that channel had the same lapse I had. I’ve been considering writing my own little Facebook tirade since I got back but I’m unsure if it would hold up as well as yours. Nice work.

MisterJ said...

I like facebook, but I can't disagree with you here.

I've actually ignored several friend requests, because I didn't have anything nice to say to that person.

Derek said...

Here are my unsolicited opinions on Facebook, in a quasi-rebuttal, out-of-order format:

- Friends to which you have nothing to say

This is a problem I also noticed, but for me it came down to the fact that if I wanted to get in touch with someone, like for a high school reunion or because a mutual friend died or something, I could. In other words, the nagging dissatisfaction with being out of touch that I periodically felt about old friends was not a need to be in constant contact, but to have an avenue to get in touch, as well as to know what they were up to out of curiosity. If you have that sort of feeling, there is no need for private messages etc., but that option remains anyway.

- Stupid groups and giving people electronic stuff (the one I am most baffled by people enjoying)

I don't join them or give stuff for obvious reasons, and ignoring the requests is a fairly painless task, especially knowing that the person inviting you probably invited all 234 of their friends and would have no idea you ignored them.

- I like (though don't often do) poking

The reason I like poking is that it requires no pleasantries or ritual statements of allegiance. It just acknowledges a person's existence, which to me is a great essential communication. The expression "poke" could of course be improved, but as a principle I think it is fairly effective.

- Replacing blogging

Facebook is a completely different thing from a blog in my view. If it replaces your blogging, I would imagine that is a time issue, not a replacement-of-function one. As for the clever status message obligation, there is really none. You might feel obligated to keep up with the clever guy you went to second grade with, but no one is thinking "He has no clever status, what a jerk!"

The above express how I think about Facebook, and using it on this basis has me pretty satisfied at having gotten in touch with some people I really wanted to talk to.

Also, look at all the friends I have. I am awesome.

Sarah Sidwell said...

I love your insight about random things. Keep them coming. I totally agree about facebook!! your old acquaintance & secret admirer- Nick K. Sidwell

themickel said...

Cheeth - those are good points and helped me realize that it isn't Facebook itself I'm displeased with, but the fact that more and more people seem to be leaving blogging for Facebook. A better title for that post would have been "5 Reasons Blogging is Better than Facebook". Or even "Mr. T says: Anyone Who Stops Blogging for Facebook is a damn fool!"

As for poking, juvenille euphamisms aside I still think it's a ridiculous concept. Sure you're acknowledging the person's existance, but you're doing it to such a minimal degree that you might as well stay silent. In fact, silence is probably preferable. Because when you poke someone aren't you really just saying 'Hey, I want to see how you're doing, but not enough to actually write a whole sentence on your wall. That's how important you are to me."?

Now if you'll excuse me, I've just realized that I need to involve Mr. T more in my writing.

Derek said...

If this exchange results in more Mr. T references, I will feel very happy to have participated.