Friday, March 21, 2008

Showing up late for an interview

So if I send a job applicant to one of the managers and that applicant shows up late for their interview, that's major points docked off them right? I mean, you gotta be on time, be punctual, reliable. Such blatant disrespect for other people's time shows they aren't a responsible employee. Tardiness won't be accepted, Costanza, not in this organization!

This is the mindset of nearly all managers, VPs, and supervisors, and rightfully so. Which is why I am constantly amazed at how many of them show up late for their interviews (or even forget about them altogether). I'll arrange with them a time to meet with the finalist for the job they've asked me to fill, confirm that time with them, remind them of it, that candidate will drive for an hour and completely rearrange their schedule to be here, and then when I bring them up to their office I find it dark and empty. Just this morning I actually had to call a manager at home and remind her she had someone waiting to meet with her.

In other words, if you show up 10 minutes late for your interview it's evidence that you don't respect other people's time and lack professionalism. But if I show up 30 minutes late, it doesn't mean that.

This is one of the many management double standards I've noticed in the workplace. Some of the others are cell phone use, showing up late for meetings, and coming to work late/leaving early.

1 comment:

Beau Sorensen said...

Welcome to the world of my dealings with the one, the only, A-Rod.