Monday, November 05, 2007

Pet Peeve: Cell Phones


I think our obsession with cell phones is pretty funny. I should start with the disclaimer that the wife and I don't have a cell phone. I know this is akin to saying we also don't use electricity at home and pee outside, but I am not ashamed. If I asked, my work would get me a free Blackberry and pay for service, but I have no desire to have one.

Now, I concede that they are handy little devices and that there have been a few situations where one would have been incredibly useful to us, but in the end I think they're just one more item intended to make life easier but have only made it more complicated.

Here are my cell phone pet-peeves:


  • "Yeah, so the other day we're on our way to the.......and.........can you...... CAN YOU HEAR ME? Sorry, I'm.........bad service ove..........we go...... brrggghtt....... jommm.....fellldmalsdjfoasdfjlk.................................................................................... ........................................................................................................Call you....ack."

  • People texting while they drive. Apparently some kid up in Salt Lake hit and killed a couple people because he was busy texting while driving. The cops checked his cell-phone record and found he had been texting for 20 minutes before the accident. Now he's being charged with Vehicular Manslaughter.

got2go cops here pwned! 10yrsprsn :( c u ltr



  • When you call someone up, get sent to voice mail, you leave a long, detailed message, then as soon as you hang up you get a call from that person. And they didn't bother to listen to your message.

  • "You there? Ok, sorry about that, I don't get good service unless I'm standing in the middle of Salt Lake. Anyways, like I was saying, the other day we.........blaaakkkhht............to the treeeeemmupphh....................DRGT................................. BLORK............................KERMOCK ......................................................................................................................................................... ......................................................................................................................call you....ack."

  • "Hey, sorry we didn't call you back those three times you called us. We're out of minutes until next Saturday." Anyone who has ever said any version of this needs to seriously rethink their life.

  • People on their cell at a restaurant or something who talk louder on the phone than they would to someone standing 2 feet away. Like we all want to hear what's going on.

  • On that same note, going out to dinner or having friends over who repeatedly answer their cell during the course of the evening. We had one friend the other day who spent at least 35 minutes of the hour we were together answering four different calls. I think socializing in the future will consist mainly of conference calls.

  • When you call someones cell phone, you KNOW they have caller ID, you KNOW they even have a special ring-tone set up JUST for your number, then they say, "Oh hey! How are you?" like they're surprised it's you. I love this.

  • "Hey, me again. Sorry, here.........bad...........eption...............I............it's bad..........SHHIIIGGGGGTTTT!.....................all you ack...."

  • Most numbers I get on resumes are for cell phones. When the above happens during an interview, I hang up and move on to the next candidate.

And my biggest pet-peeve about cell phones:


  • You call someone up (this happens all the time both at work and with friends). They answer, you're about to start talking, then they cut you off with "Oh, sorry, can I call you back? I don't have time to talk right now."

WHY'D YOU ANSWER THE PHONE THEN? Why pick it up at all if you're just going to tell the person, "Sorry, I can't talk right now"?!? What's the point? If only they could come up with some sort of device that could answer your phone for you. You know, if you're busy and don't have time to talk. Like a machine or something.....A Machine of Answering, as it were. That would be great. Maybe someday....

Can you honestly say your cell phone has made your life easier? Does the convenience of being able to call anyone at anytime (unless of course one or both of you aren't getting service. Which seems to be more than half the time) compensate for alienating your friends, becoming a slave to usage rules, making our roads more dangerous, and having to listen to the inane conversations of insufferable strangers? Is it?


If so, more power to you. Me? I'll stick with having a home phone that I seldom answer.

8 comments:

Derek said...

I agree with a lot of your points, except how cell phones make life less convenient.

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up:

The peeves about bad connection, answering while visiting themickel, textslaughter, and answering only to say "can't talk now" are right on the money.

I think cell phones are way up there on the list of things that make my life easier. For example, I don't have to arrange to meet someone at some place and have there be a chance we will miss each other, which was a very real occurrence as recently (oh crap, this has become less and less recent, hasn't it?) when, say, we were in high school.

I agree that for you, it is not convenient because you do not use the actual device, which is a requirement for experiencing the convenience. You are instead privy to all of the bad and stupid things people do with cell phones.

I challenge you to use a cell phone in good faith for a month, then decide if you want it. Your life may be arranged so you really don't need it, which I think is admirable. You may find it convenient enough times to outweigh the potential inconveniences. Like you say, if you don't want to talk, you don't have to answer it, so how could it restrict your freedom?

Wow, what a long comment. I need to go pee out back.

Derek said...

Oh also, I am betting the no service problem is exacerbated by your situation, which is to say by living in Cedar City.

Mark said...

The thing I don't like is that people can reach me whenever they want. (ooh, my first HTML tag)

The only time I'd really want one is if we're going on long trips and the car broke down, or if either me or my wife was traveling somewhere and got stranded.

MisterJ said...

I'm with you all the way on this, Logan. I don't have a cell phone and I've never regretted it. And when I talk to other people on their cell phone, I either lose them, have to listen to them try to drive (and nearly die), or listen to their other conversations (either with their companions or the guy behind the McDonald's counter).

I always say that I don't have a cell phone because when I leave the house it is because I don't want people to get ahold of me.

themickel said...

That's a good point, Cheeth - I am an outsider to the cell phone world and therefore don't know the advantages. I'll give you that.

As far as the service question, I spend most the time talking with people in Southern California, Salt Lake, Utah Valley, Phoenix, etc. and even they can't even get decent service. It's not just a Cedar thing. I think you've just become acccostomed to suckling at the well-serviced teet of Mother Japan, whose entire surface is wired for cell phone use.

themickel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beau Sorensen said...

Mickel,
You're a former Japanese, how can you not have a cell phone? I thought Ishii kun would have helped you out there. I think if people would use them right, they're great. If you abuse it, just like all good things, you turn it from good to evil.

Nick Sidwell said...

ha ha Logan doesn't even have a cell phone... It is like when those who don't have kids but they give advice to those who do, about how to raise them.