Thursday, September 06, 2007

Your Own Private Holiday

I am currently pioneering an exciting new philosophy when it comes to Monday holidays (Labor Day, Memorial Day):

Take Wednesday off instead.

Think about it. What are the freeways like Friday evenings on 3-day weekends? How about the lakes? National Parks? Canyon roads? Camping sites? That's right - every other poor shmuck who finally gets a day off is trying to go to the exact same place you are. Shouldn't a vacation be relaxing? Isn't that the whole point?

So, going against the flow, I decided to work this Monday and take Wednesday off instead. Let me tell you something - I am a genius. Not only was the vacation fun and other-poor-shmuck-free, but working when there is no one else in the office was almost a vacation in itself. I wore shorts and flip-flops, turned the music up, downloaded a bunch of music that I probably wasn't supposed to - it was awesome.

So now, instead of having a four-day work week, it's been more like 3. 2 1/2 if you count leaving early on Tuesday.

Of course, this only works if you have the type of job where you have stuff to do even if the rest of the country isn't working.

Seriously, try it. Just don't let too many people know about it - then my own private holiday will be ruined. And I will fight you.

3 comments:

MisterJ said...

I can't convince parents to send their kids on holidays. :)

Jen Jen said...

I used to do that too when I worked. I hate holiday traffic. Don't worr your secret is safe with me :)

Derek said...

I say eat chicken every Wednesday, and never, ever white meat.