Thursday, September 27, 2007

Top Three Things to NOT Say in a Job Interview


So I just did an interview with a gentleman who gave one of the best responses I've ever heard to an interview question. And by "best" I don't mean that the answer was impressive or significantly raised his chances of being hired, but that it was entertaining for me to hear.

Here's the dialogue:

ME: "What would you consider your greatest weakness?"

INTERVIEWEE: (Thinks for a couple seconds before answering, a thoughtful look creasing his middle-aged brow)

"I annoy some people. I'm like sauerkraut - either you like me or you hate me."

Outstanding. So we should just think of you as...sauerkraut.
Anyways, this made me think of a mental list I've been keeping ever since starting this job, something I've been meaning to blog about but never have until this particular individual acted as catalyst: the Top Three Things that you Shouldn't Say in a Job Interview.

Keep in mind, to qualify for this list the statement had to actually have been said in an interview. Here we go:

Number 3 - Here's the background: A woman popped into my office to apply for an open position without an appointment. I had time, so I asked if she wanted to sit down and talk more about it. She agreed, but said she was on a quick break from work and only had about 10 minutes. I started the interview and when the 10 minutes was up asked when she could come back to complete a clerical test we give. Her answer:

INTERVIEWEE: "Oh, I can do that now."

ME: "Don't you have to get back to work?"

INTERVIEWEE: (Waves hand dismissively) "Pssh. No, I told my boss I had to take my daughter to the doctor. I've got plenty of time."

Wow. This one still amazes me. She gave TWO reasons not to hire her in just one statement
  1. I habitually LIE to my employer

  2. I am not INTELLIGENT ENOUGH to realize that I shouldn't tell YOU, a prospective employer, that I habitually lie to my employer

Three if you include: I have no qualms exploiting my position as mother to manipulate others. Either way, that's got to be a record of some sort.


Number 2 - This was in response to the same question as Sauerkraut Man, the trusty old "What do you consider your greatest weakness?" question:

INTERVIEWEE: "Well, I usually won't finish a task unless my boss is standing over my shoulder the entire time making me do it."

She said this. I'm not kidding - she seriously said this. Quick Tip: If you're the type of person who doesn't get things done at work, you want to look into fixing that. It will help your career tremendously.

This woman also qualified for reason-not-to-hire #2 on the first woman's example, the "If you're not smart enough to realize you shouldn't be telling me this, then we don't have a job for you" corollary.


Finally, the Number 1 thing you shouldn't say in an interview, which is still my favorite and initiated one of the most awkward moments of my life:

INTERVIEWEE: "Well, all my life I've had a fascination with dead bodies."

Now, I was about to write the background and the question that led to this particular statement, but is it necessary? I mean, is there ANY situation in a job interview where you should actually say "All my life I've had a fascination with dead bodies"? EVER? I suppose if the position is at a mortuary and involves the dressing/grooming of dead people, you're ok, but generally you're going to want to steer away from that one. I would've thought Career Services would have covered that one at the last job fair.

So there you go. Those are the top three things you should never say in an interview, which I've actually had people say. The fun thing about this list is that it's constantly changing. If anyone has other examples they would like to nominate for the list, I would love to hear them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an inexplicable craving for a bratwurst.

6 comments:

Jen Jen said...

I used to interview people all the time for a Sales Associate job at Zumiez. We got all the young people who really didn't know how to interview. I wish I could remember some of the crazy things people said in response to our questions cause they happened all the time. But that was like...7 years ago and for the lie of me I can't remember.

Derek said...

Great picture, first off. Feels good to be a gangsta.

I love, love, love this post. Please post more of the things you see and hear.

Tiecen said...

I once had one of my employees say she couldn't come to work because she had to go bail her boyfriend out of jail and give him a ride to court because he didn't have a car. For Pete's sake! Just say you're sick!!

MisterJ said...

When my bro and I worked at Media Play, on a Job Application in the "Experience" section someone put "Stalker."

Um, I hope they meant "Stocker."

Beau Sorensen said...

This was an awesome post! I love that people are that stupid, once again proving the maxim that people are idiots.

Mark said...

So, have you started asking people what they form they think their patronus would take in your interviews?