Thursday, February 17, 2005

My Job

I work as a recruiter for a large insurance brokerage. Never thought I'd work for an insurance company--in fact if my 8 year-old self found out that this is what his future job would be instead of making video games, I'm sure he'd be disgusted. Not that it's any of his business, anyway. Little brat.

Anyways, I really like my job. Basically whenever my company needs to hire someone they tell me and I set up job postings, interview applicants, administer assessments (apparently it is not PC to give someone a "test", it must be an "assessment"), make recommendations, then call up everyone who didn't get hired and break the news to them. It's all pretty fun, except for the last part. I've worked on accountants, graphic artists, salespeople, customer service reps, bookkeepers, secretaries, bank officers; all different kinds of jobs. It's a fun job but not as easy as you would think.

The funniest part is that I'm a 26 year old just out of college interviewing people almost twice my age...and I make them nervous. Weird, huh? I never thought of myself as particularly intimidating, but apparently being percieved as the man who holds the key to their financial future makes me a little scarier.

I love my company and the people I work with. They pay well too, though it's the type of place you stay at for the people. Sometimes I go to career fairs across the country and I occasionally travel, but most of my days are spent at a computer looking over resumes and doing interviews. I've been working here a year and have got some good stories already, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to share most of them.

Here's a pic of my office, though it's subject to change at a moments notice (my third office in a year).

No comments: