Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Career Fair Burger


Hey. We're back from San Francisco. I'll get pictures up of that. Someday.

In the meantime, I just got back from another Career Fair. I don't feel like writing the usual long-winded recap, so I'll just give some statistics:
  • Approximate number of times I used the phrase, "Great, shoot me over a resume and we'll take it from there": 95

  • Favorite sight at the career fair: the brave girl meandering across the ballroom alone, refusing to make eye contact with anyone while unashamedly singing out loud Ace of Base's I Saw the Sign.
  • Percentage of students I talked to who were Accounting majors: 86%
  • Inanimate object that brought the most entertainment over the 8 hours we were there: a gray, rubber pad placed over some extension cords in the walkway in front of our table to prevent people from tripping, which ended up tripping at least 30 people itself.
  • How funny it is, on a scale of 1-10, to see someone trip over that rubber mat while you're standing at the table: 5.
  • How funny it is, on a scale of 1-10, to see someone trip over that rubber mat out of the corner of your eye while you're in the middle of a serious career conversation with a student: 10.
  • Favorite moment of the career fair: hucking a piece of salt-water taffy at my co-worker's groin while he was on his cell phone, then laughing hysterically as he doubled over in pain. Yes, I am the first contact most people have with our company.
  • Most interesting SWAG giveaway: Nature's Skin and their "Free Brow Waxing".
  • Best SWAG giveaway: Portable music players with headphones from some accounting firm.
  • Worst SWAG giveaway: Nature's Skin and their "Free Brow Waxing".
  • Most disturbing image: The tough, manly marine in full camo getting Nature's Skin's free brow waxing.
  • Most awkward moment: Explaining a position to a candidate who has graduated and is gainfully employed by the university we were at and just as his supervisor walks up he says the words:
    "Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in looking into that". Wow. This rated pretty high on Awkward Things to Say Just As Someone Walks Up scale, just above "Hey, you know Doug? Well I just peed on his car" and just below "You know Doug? I just killed his cat."
  • And of course, Number of times I shook my head incredulously after talking to a particularly clueless student, then realized I was just as bad when I was one (only worse, as I never actually made it to a Career Fair): 6

1 comment:

MisterJ said...

I love these posts.