Friday, May 23, 2008

The Old Timers Club


Can I just say, despite a moderate level of excitement for the new Indiana Jones movie, I'm deeply sorry to see Harrison Ford join the ranks of Once Famous Action Superstar Trying to Resurrect a Franchise Despite Soggy Man Boobs (or OIFA, as they are known on the NYSE)

You know what I'm talking about: Arnold's offering was Terminator 3, Bruce Willis joined with Live Free or Die Hard, Stallone is the current president of OIFA with his shameless dredging up of both the Rocky AND Rambo franchises within a year of each other, and with Harrison Ford has now officially joined the club with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. If Mel Gibson dons the leathers for another run at Mad Max, we may need to get Congress involved.

I had always hoped Ford would not go there. I mean, Sly I can see, but I always figured Ford had too much dignity for it. I also don't see what is left for Indiana Jones to do, since he is ostensibly immortal after finding the Holy Grail at the end of the last movie. How do you top that?

By centering the plot around an obscure artifact from a civilization most of the world isn't familiar with, apparently. Is it just me or is this a little too similar to "Temple of Doom"?

The thing is you tarnish your legacy when you do this. Like when Michael Jordan came back for the 3rd time to play with the Wizards. You just need to walk away. Showing up in less than the full glory we remember you in takes away from your mystique.

Tell you what, if I ever become an immensely famous action hero, I will refuse to play an action role once I'm over 50. You have my word on that.

2 comments:

MisterJ said...

Dude, the difference is this: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is awesome! I loved it!

themickel said...

That's good news. I was hoping Lucas wouldn't Phantom Menace us.