Monday, April 10, 2006

Texas Trip


Pics from my trip to Dallas Texas last week. And some fun facts:

Approximate amount of time it took upon arriving in Dallas for me to see an authentic Texan wearing an authentic UT Longhorns hat: 3 seconds

Approximate amount of time it took to see some sort of city sponsored Dallas Cowboys memorobilia: 26 seconds

Number of "howdy's", "y'all's", and "partner's" I heard during my stay: 3 (I know, I was severely dissapointed too.)

JFK was shot 3 blocks from my hotel. By a guy whose nephew I taught in seminary.


This is the hotel I stayed at, which, as you can see, was built in the post-modern, 1970's We-Think-the-Future-Will-Involve-a-lot-of-Glass-and-Spheres-with-Blinking-Lights motif.

"It's ultra-modern, like living in the not too distant future."*
The hotel was pretty cool. The main lobby area opened straight up to the top of the building with the rooms on outside balconies ala the Luxor in Vegas.


This is the view from just outside my 11th floor room. See the guy sitting at the desk at the bottom middle? Possibly the first time since childhood where I was tempted to spit on a random, unsuspecting person just because it would be funny. Well, ok, the first time since college.


Me in front of the American Airlines center, home of the Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, and to a lesser degree, Dirk Nowitzsky's body odor.

Ah, nothing like going to an NBA game and watching the entire thing on the Jumbotron. See that little guy in purple down on the court? I think that's Ron Artest. Or it may have been one of the Maverick's cheerleaders. I'm not sure.

This is a pic I took after sneaking into the rich people seats, you know, the seats for people who "have money", or "are willing to spend more than 10 bucks on a ticket." Or who "have professions that contribute to society." Snobs.



An exciting picture of the room.

They have buildings and trees in Dallas. See?

*Extra points for anyone who can get the "It's ultra-modern. Like living in the not-too distant future" reference. (This time I'm looking at Cheeth)

Speaking of the Cheeth, he is currently beating Sorro in the race for the Blogging Stallion award, thanks to the deluge of pictures and sheer length of his last few postings. Sorro, on the other hand, has only a rant on the sorry state of packaging in society from last Thursday. Advantage: Cheeth.

3 comments:

Derek said...

Tom Petty said it best; "It's good to be King, if just for a while..."

Excellent account of Dallas. I enjoyed it with as much zeal and out-loud laughter as my last back-shaving party with Phil.

Beau Sorensen said...

Did Dallas feel dangerous to you? I felt perfectly safe, but then I saw that it was one of the most dangerous cities in the US. Is it because of those guys that accost you at the Book Depository showing you the 15 different shooters who went after Kennedy?

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»