Sunday, September 11, 2005

Book Review: Post Captain


My latest read is Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian. Remember the movie Master and Commander with Russel Crowe? That was the film adaptation of 2 or 3 Patrick O'Brian books. There's 20 total (not counting #21, which was being written when O'Brian died) and they are very good reads. It's amazing--half the time I don't even know what's going on in the books as they are filled with nautical jargon (booms, pulleys, yards, top-gallants, royals, etc), yet somehow I'm enthralled with it all the same. At first this worried me, until my step-dad Jim (who is a big sailor himself and was the one who recommended the books to me in the first place) told me he doesn't understand most of it either.

The books take place in the early 19th century during the Napoleonic wars and center around the adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and his surgeon friend Dr. Stephen Maturin. I don't feel like writing a summary, so go check the book out yourself. I'd recommend starting with Master and Commander first though.

I give it an 8/10.

No comments: