Monday, June 05, 2006

sick...

I've been out the past 6 days with Strep Throat. "My brother and I used to say that staying home from work for a week would be like heaven. Instead I can't sleep, I can't eat, I've got two boilers--this isn't heaven, this sucks!"

Ok, I had to invoke a random movie quote to get my feelings across. This past week was miserable. No fun at all. Apparently Strep (view nasty pic I got off the net at your own risk) is pretty common, but it sounds like mine is a lot worse than most.

For instance, several people I've spoken to have mentioned "staying in bed the whole time" or "sleeping for days". What? They were able to sleep? I didn't sleep for nearly 4 days and the only refreshing bed time I had was lying down so I wouldn't pass out. They also didn't say anything about a throat so raw that eating YOGURT feels like swallowing extra large grain sand-paper. Or gums so saturated with blood that they've swollen to twice their normal size. Or the inside of their mouths erupting into cold sores like boils on poor Job's naked body.

Well that's what I got baby!

Anyways, I'm thinking I'm almost out of it. I'm back at work anyways. The last time I had been to the doctor for a sickness was about 14 years ago, so I suppose I was due. I also think it's good to be sick every once in a while, just so you appreciate what it's like to be normal. So, here you go. Here are 7 Everyday Things Having Strep Throat has Taught me not to Take for Granted: (in no particular order)

  1. Being able to turn my head.
  2. Sleeping more than 2 hours at a time.
  3. Being able to swallow water, milk, or even my own saliva without my throat erupting into a fiery hell.
  4. Working.
  5. Hugging my wife without the fear that my diseased, leprous touch could destroy our unborn child.
  6. Fruit.
  7. All the nights where I haven't woken up miserable, drenched in sweat, and with Eminem's "Without Me" playing relentlessly through my head. I'm not kidding. 3 days in a row, everytime I woke up:

"Guess who's back? Back again? Dah nuh nuh DA NA DA NA DA NA!!!"

It was as if Slim Shady himself were orchestrating the soundtrack to my physical anguish. I didn't care much for the song to begin with, but now that it's forever associated with sickness for me it has dropped into the deepest realm of musical loathing I have, right next to Alanis Morissette and that Semi-Charmed Kind of Life song they played every 5 minutes back in high-school.

Ok, I'm ranting here a bit, but it's helping me get the tension out. Therapy, that's what it is. I've got more to say, but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Extra points to whoever can get that movie quote.

4 comments:

Derek said...

theMickel, give in to the dark side of the force, you knob.

Derek said...

Sounds awful. Emma got something like that and it was awful. Seeing the caked blood on her lips and her crying in pain when she tried to drink anything. Be prepared for when your daughter is sick. I'm glad you're getting better.

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»