Monday, August 25, 2008

Plane Crash

Last Friday our company plane crashed just outside of Moab. 10 people died, including the pilot who, in addition to flying the company planes, also worked part-time as an I.T. Tech for us. The other 9 people were the staff of a local dermatology office who rented out the plane every month to reach clients in Moab. The cause of the crash is still unknown. Seeing as there was no blackbox, eye-witnesses, or survivors it doesn't look like we will ever know.

I still can't believe this. The pilot's name was David White. I talked with him at his cubicle not a day or two before the crash. Even joked around with him for slacking off in our fitness program.

I've flown with him in the very same plane that is now nothing more than a mass of charred metal. The first time I was in the co-pilots seat and he showed me what all the instruments did and talked about how much he loved flying. I even asked him about his craziest flying stories and he told me about one of his engines going out and having to land on a narrow stretch of I-15 just north of St. George. He was a great pilot and an amazing person. Now he's gone and his wife and four kids are without a husband and father.

Life can change pretty fast.

1 comment:

Beau Sorensen said...

That was your company plane? Wow, that's not something I'd have expected to hear. It makes you think, though doesn't it? Life can turn on a dime and you don't even see it coming.