Friday, June 08, 2007

Is it wrong that I take a cruel, vindictive pleasure in this?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/08/paris.hilton.ap/index.html

The part about Paris Hilton getting dragged out of a courtroom crying and screaming, that is.

I guess I need to start out by saying I despise Paris Hilton. And not just her, but this whole breed of human-wasteland-as-celebrity that we've produced as a society (i.e. Spears, Lohan, etc.). With all the serious, messed up things happening in the world the fact that we pay so much attention to these shallow, intellectually vapid dolts actually makes me vomit in my own mouth a little. Millions displaced and dying in Darfur? Who cares, Paris Hilton got another DUI - slap it on the front page! The president of Russia is ticked off about the U.S. missle Defense Shield? That's not a story, Lindsey Lohan just went back into rehab!

Do you realize we were within a George W. Bush gaffe of starting a second Cold War with Russia just a few days ago? Do you know what CNN.com's headline story was? Hilton Reports to Jail.

Anyways, I've gone off on a tangent here. Back to my original subject.

After hearing that the tart in question had been let off on "house-arrest" due to an unspecified "medical-condition" (read: she wouldn't eat jail food), I was extremely disturbed. I mean, would any of us - the poor, insignificant lumpen of the proletariat - get the same concession if a judge had specifically made orders against it? Yet here she was, three days into her already shortened term, going home to spend the rest of her "punishment" in her mansion. Harsh.

Fortunately the judge brought her back into the courtroom and ordered her to serve the original sentence of 45 days in its entirety, in jail, restoring an iota of my faith in the American legal system and California's government as he did so. Good for you, unnamed judge.

It's pretty low in me, I admit, but I did get a certain sense of satisfaction in reading this. Can you believe she actually called out for her mother in the courtroom, like a spoiled 8-year old fighting with her brother? Perhaps justice isn't always for sale in this country.

Enjoy the food, Paris.

2 comments:

Tiecen said...

I have U2 by U2 and I think it's pretty neat. Gabe got it for me a few months ago and I've been reading a couple pages here and there. Very interesting fellows.


On the Paris thing:
I agree that she's a spoiled brat and deserves to be in jail and I don't really like her either. I don't think she should've ever been let out in the first place. But I do feel the justice system wronged her in one way... When they put her in jail and that Sherriff let her out against the judges orders, only to drag her back in again the next day. That's so stupid. That would just compound her anxiety. I think that Sherriff should be fired for contempt of court and for not protecting the rights of a criminal. They changed her from a stupid slut with a DUI into a pawn in a political publicity struggle. She should sue the Sherriff. If she doesn't, I might.

Derek said...

I'm in complete agreement with you. I'm trying to convince my wife to block the enews channel which reports on this everyday. The fact that cnn and 'real' journalists are fawning over these celebritites is sad. Supply and demand rule our country, so I guess it is an indictment on us that these things are so popular. How do we change it all? (I don't think wait for the millenium is a good answer.)