Monday, March 13, 2006

My job is awesome

So I just got off the phone with a United States Congressman who gave me a reference on an applicant who has won an Emmy, was nominated for an Oscar, and now wants to sell insurance. Why does the guy want to sell insurance after a career like that, you may ask? I have no idea.

My job is awesome. Unfortunately I don't blog about it much because it's confidential (That's right: Military Scientist, F.B.I. Agent, Spy...Human Resource guy. It's right up there). Basically I do the interviewing, recruiting, employee relations, and exit interviews for a mid-sized insurance brokerage.

Although I can't write about specific interview experiences, I can give a vague, ambiguous list that gives an idea of a typical day at work. Here you go.


5 Pet Peeves about being a recruiter:

  1. People who show up 15 minutes early for an interview, thinking it will show that they are a "go-getter". It doesn't. It shows that you have little sense of time management.
  2. References. If you warn another employer about a potential bad hire, the job applicant can sue you for slander. If you don't warn that employer about a potential bad hire, they can sue you for negligence. This is fair? This makes sense? In America, yes.
  3. The "Oh yeah, I can do that" mentality. Someone applies for a job in computer programming. Their past experience has been in retail and fast food. Upon bringing up this discrepancy they claim: "Yeah, but I'm a fast learner. I'm pretty sure I could pick that up." Come now. There's a reason certain jobs require a 4-year degree.
  4. Akin to number 3, I call this the "Oh crap, I'm about to graduate and I have no idea what I want to do with my life" mentality. This is when a college senior realizes they are about to be thrust out into the real world so they apply for every job they can find. Here's how that conversation usually goes:

ME: "So, what's your major?"

THEM: "Communications with a minor in Sports Nutrition."

ME: "Really? So what made you apply for a job in Accounting?"

THEM: "Well, I'm pretty good at that Sudoku stuff, and my mom always said I was pretty good at balancing my checkbook, so I figured it was a match. When do you want me to start?"

MY DESK: BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! (The sound of my head repeatedly slamming into it)

Can't be too hard on them though, I did the same thing...

And, number 5: The Gov'ment. What's the government's answer for any problem? Pass more laws. If there's a problem in society try to suffocate it in a veritable deluge of paperwork, files, forms, reports and other bureaucratic rubbish. I could go on but my breaks are only so long. And I'm trying not to be a complainer. Guess this post kind of blew that. Oh well...

4 comments:

Beau Sorensen said...

Mickel,
Don't blog about it as much as you like, but I know where you work! Your IP tells so much about you. It's actually quite shocking the statistics that are out there for the grabbing. Fortunately for you, I'm a benign stalker.

Derek said...

Logan,
Why is it that government is supposed to solve the problems but all they do is create more? It seems like they only know how to put a bandaid on a gushing artery. We still bleed to death. My family is adjusting to having another little girl here. There are times of sublime peace when she stares up at me quietly. Everyone is healthy and doing well. Hope all is going well with your family.

Beau Sorensen said...

Oh johnmiller9908151405, what craziness will you post next?

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»